Reduce the stress of your next Oracle-AWS application, portal, or website project
Our strategy services, implementation services, migration services, managed services, and IaaS (hosting) with 24/7 monitoring service provide you with not only total cost of ownership reductions, but with a single source for contracting and support. Our array of services can free up your IT resources, reduce your development cycles, and improve your speed to deployment, all backed by the AWS guarantee of 99.99% uptime.
By working with HGS Digital, you can address key business challenges, including growth management, workload fluctuation, database performance, business and security risks, proper governance, and budget adherence. HGS Digital can help you:
- Review, audit, and optimize Oracle licensing
- Understand the costs of moving Oracle workloads to the cloud
- Validate the process with the migration of a pilot workload into production in AWS
- Prepare a full roadmap for the rest of your Oracle databases and applications
Comparing on-prem versus cloud databases may help
For decades, hosting databases on-prem was the norm. As the need for wider access grew, organizations started adding extra, new on-prem IT to give this flexibility for disparate workers, which increased risk and the number of technologies that needed to be managed. Now at a breaking point, more and more organizations are exploring cloud-based options.
Migrating your Oracle database from on-prem to AWS involves three main steps
Let us help you modernize your on-prem Oracle databases and apps with AWS
Managed AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) for Oracle databases
- Best when: Need to free up database administrator (DBA) time to do more strategic work.
- Advantages: AWS manages and scales the database so your team can focus on app development; easy setup.
- Cost impact: Can transfer on-prem Oracle licences; pay-per-use (hourly) service.
Self-managed Oracle databases on AWS EC2 instances
- Best when: Have DBA skillset in-house and/or want to replicate the on-prem setup in the cloud.
- Advantages: Development and DBA teams gain greater control over app and database administration.
- Cost impact: Fixed cost (similar to on-prem) and independent of usage; offers bring-your-own licence; additional cost for disaster recovery setup.
Migrate to AWS Aurora database
- Best when: Need to reduce database cost and/or limited DBA skillset in-house.
- Advantages: Cloud-optimized database; supports high availability and addresses challenges in your current database setup.
- Cost impact: Depends on the usage, but offers pay-per-use model.
Self-managed Oracle database on VMware Cloud on AWS
- Best when: Already running VMware on-prem.
- Advantages: Faster migration to the cloud (VMware to VMware); supports complex architectures, such as Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC).
- Cost impact: Can be expensive but in alignment with complex architectures.